Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error. (1 John 4:1-6 ESV)
The aroma of Christ… The message of Jesus is what gives life. Part of our responsibility is the discernment of receiving what is from God and tossing what is not.
There is truth and there is error. We as followers of Jesus have the Holy Spirit who gives discernment, but we are called to live as the aroma of Christ, which is life to those who are being saved and death to those who are perishing.
- What does it look like to test Spirits, and test things that others say?
- What are some things in your life that you’ve had to test?
- What does John have to say about your identity and why might matter to this conversation?
- John paints a contrast between those who are of God and of the world, how do those who are of God live differently/ how is it visible?
- Ask the Lord what scent are you putting off that of God or that of this world?
- Ask him if there is any sort of shift in motivation, ambition, priorities, time management to more reflect being a child of God?