There is no sermon video this week. This past weekend, Anthem scattered throughout Ventura County for Anthem Anywhere. Click here to see pictures of Anthem gathering around the county, worship Jesus and enjoying each other: http://tgb.io/anthemanywhere/232940
For this is the message that you have heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. We should not be like Cain, who was of the evil one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his own deeds were evil and his brother's righteous. Do not be surprised, brothers, that the world hates you. We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death. Everyone who hates his brother is a murderer, and you know that no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. (1 John 3:11-18 ESV)
Another core teaching that John builds off of, “We should love another”... John sees Christianity as defined by the supernatural love of God being experienced in the world through the people of God.
Believe and love. This is the commandment of God. Believe in Jesus for salvation, for new heart and life… and then live it out by your love. Jesus taught this message in John 15 and John is hammering it home here.
- How might John’s usage of love (agape) be different from the way our culture uses the term love?
- How do you know that Jesus loves you?
- Do you always feel that Jesus loves you?
- Does it mean he doesn’t if you don’t feel it?
- Why would these two questions matter at all?
- What does believing in Jesus name entail?
- How do you think almost all Christian life could be summed up with vs 23?
- In John 13:35 we see that it's by our love for one another that all people will know that we are disciples of Jesus. Thats paralleled here in vs 23. How does the world you live in know that you belong to Jesus?
- What might need to change in your life for your friends, neighbors, co-workers to see the love of Jesus in you?